About Oakley

This is a record of the restoration of narrowboat Oakley, a large Northwich of the Town class of the Grand Union Canal Carrying Co. Ltd. built in 1936 by Yarwoods in Northwich. Her fleet number was 159, she was registered at Rickmansworth number 98 and her gauging number was 12631. She originally had a Russel Newbury DM2 engine. She was originally paired with butty Oxted. She was absorbed into the British Waterways fleet in 1948. If you have any information regarding the history of Oakley then please contact me.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Bottom and footings still



Due to sickness I have been unable to work on my boat for the last three days. I have managed to get three out of the four bottom plates fitted into position and the footings are halfway down the boat. Whilst cutting out the footings I have noticed (but also expected) that the plate behind the knees has worn very thin, down to 2mm in some places, this is due to rust been trapped behind the knee. The way to solve this problem is to remove the knees one by one, cut out the bad section and replate it. So I will be doing this job as soon as the bottom is done.

No comments: